Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of four basic types (A, AB, B, and O) into which human blood may be classified, based on the presence or absence of certain inherited antigens.
- ‘Blood groups, which are generally classified by the ABO system (so we are all either A, B, O or AB) differ in their distribution in the world.’
- ‘Suitable data for testing our predictions are available in primates, for the ABO system and for color vision genes.’
- ‘Finally, chromosome 2 heterochromatin contains 16 vital genes, as well as the E and Rsp loci of the Segregation Distortion system, and components of the ABO system.’
- ‘In the ABO system, the surface antigens of the red cells are determined by three genes, A, B, and O.’
- ‘Antibodies with haemolytic properties are common within the ABO system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.