Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- 1.1 In collective numerals:‘myriad’‘triad’
- 1.2 In names of females in classical mythology:‘dryad’‘naiad’
- 1.3 In names of poems and similar compositions:‘Iliad’‘jeremiad’
- 1.4 In names of members of some taxonomic groupings:‘bromeliad’
- 1.1 In collective numerals:
From the Greek ending -as, -ad-.
Forming nouns such as ballad, salad.Compare with -ade
From French -ade.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.