One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The person or thing having the highest status in a group.‘the clerk was regarded as first among equals by the other chief officers’
- ‘He will be the first among equals, but they will all have to prove themselves.’
- ‘In the past, the Pope of Alexandria was merely the first among equals, and reform movements had foundered on the autonomy of Egypt's bishops.’
- ‘They also recognize the Pope as the principal hierarch, the first among equals.’
- ‘Although America might be first among equals, its conscious and unconscious existence is tightly coupled to experiences shared with its global neighbors.’
- ‘At their best, they are the best, first among equals.’
- ‘Sorry Campbell, you may be the first among equals, but you ain't the boss.’
- ‘As the first among equals, the Prime Minister will symbolically have his finger on the nuclear button.’
- ‘This should be troubling, this complete lack of clear ideas from the man who will be our first among equals.’
- ‘The official doctrine is that the prime minister is simply the first among equals, and the rule of collective responsibility emphasizes the collegial character of the cabinet.’
- ‘The whole tenet on which Hauser bases his fascinating book is that the human species is, as it were, first among equals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.