One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In life.‘they never expected to meet again this side of the grave’
- ‘It's as close as any of us will come this side of the grave to knowing how the apostles prayed.’
- ‘You didn't ask for that, but there's no avoiding it this side of the grave.’
- ‘Cynics advise us not to hope this side of the grave, and yet history teaches that hope denied does not dissipate, it simply goes underground.’
- ‘This tiny building is the representation of another more heavenly one, never to be realized this side of the grave.’
- ‘It occurred to me that on this side of the grave the cross is the most obvious fact: human beings suffer and die.’
- ‘It is not claimed that liberation puts an end to physical pain this side of the grave, for painfulness is admitted to be the nature of the body.’
- ‘He recalls Fleur's mother and the trauma she endured to keep her sickly daughter on this side of the grave.’
- ‘During the nineteenth century, sufferers on this side of the grave were treated with animal blood, which they were expected to imbibe.’
- ‘If we expect to find any literally perfect happiness on this side of the grave, we expect what we shall not find.’
- ‘History says don't hope on this side of the grave.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.