One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
sane, in one's right mind, of sound mind, in possession of all one's faculties, able to reason clearly, able to think clearly, lucid, rational, coherent, balanced, well balancedView synonyms
- ‘‘Frank was not in his right mind when he set up the device,’ she said, referring to doctors' diagnoses of her husband as suffering from clinical depression.’
- ‘‘I suppose if I was in my right mind, I wouldn't have dreamt of it,’ says Nan.’
- ‘What person in their right mind would do something like that?’
- ‘No one in their right mind would consider an 80-year-old woman a military target.’
- ‘The Premiership is the best league in the world, so who in his right mind wouldn't want to be a manager at that level?’
- ‘Who in their right mind would do such a ludicrous thing?’
- ‘In my opinion, Whitney was not in her right mind when we had our conversation.’
- ‘Nobody in their right mind will offer a prize for a competition you've never entered.’
- ‘Please correct me if I'm wrong but who in their right mind would sponsor an event that attracts no spectators!’
- ‘Who in his right mind would rather work than sleep?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.