One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) very strong and resilient in the face of hardship or pain.‘a leader who is as tough as nails’as modifier ‘a tough as nails sergeant’
- ‘He looked as tough as nails and certainly not a man to mess with.’
- ‘She certainly can be as tough as nails when needed.’
- ‘He was a fighter, tough as nails.’
- ‘Her brother describes her as tough as nails.’
- ‘Her mother was a midwife, tough as nails.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.