One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very stupid.‘her employers must see that she is perceived as being as thick as a brick’
stupid, unintelligent, ignorant, dense, brainless, mindless, foolish, dull-witted, dull, slow-witted, witless, doltish, slow, dunce-like, simple-minded, empty-headed, vacuous, vapid, half-witted, idiotic, moronic, imbecilicView synonyms
- ‘Generally, I like ads that don't assume I'm as thick as two short planks and present themselves in a clever and/or funny way.’
- ‘He may well be as thick as two short planks and show a reckless disregard for the facts, but he's also a grubby opportunist who thrives on the misery of others.’
- ‘This is very surprising because the man has a reputation as being thick as two planks.’
- ‘She once described herself as ‘thick as two planks’.’
- ‘Unfortunately, I had observed the boatman was as thick as a plank.’
- ‘It's like meeting a really handsome bloke and finding out he's thick as two short planks when he opens his mouth.’
- ‘Maybe he's as thick as two planks and thinks she is a member of the Labor party.’
- ‘We knew that she was really as thick as two planks.’
- ‘Then again, maybe I'm just as thick as two short planks, which a lot of people think.’
- ‘A person can be very good at reeling off facts and figures but can still be as thick as two short planks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.