One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extremely quiet.‘the huge room was as silent as the grave’
- ‘And apart from a soft snapping and tink of hot metal, the room was as silent as the grave.’
- ‘‘It sure is silent as the grave around here,’ Christian whispered as Eva drew open the wooden gate.’
- ‘The theater was silent as the grave and pitch black.’
- ‘I sat in the far corner of the classroom, hidden away by the shadows as silent as the grave.’
- ‘It is quiet as the grave and there is seating for only 20.’
- ‘We knew who they were of course, and they were aware of our arrival but they passed on towards the Pontoon and Massbrook silent as the grave.’
- ‘All was quiet as death, silent as the grave, save for the faint murmur of my own breathing.’
- ‘We were as silent as the grave, but I knew, almost instinctively, that all eyes were upon us from the shadows.’
- ‘The place was as clean as an operating theatre, and as quiet as the grave.’
- ‘Three vans race to the scene but when we arrive it's as quiet as the grave.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.