One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extremely quiet.‘the huge room was as silent as the grave’
- ‘The theater was silent as the grave and pitch black.’
- ‘The place was as clean as an operating theatre, and as quiet as the grave.’
- ‘Three vans race to the scene but when we arrive it's as quiet as the grave.’
- ‘‘It sure is silent as the grave around here,’ Christian whispered as Eva drew open the wooden gate.’
- ‘I sat in the far corner of the classroom, hidden away by the shadows as silent as the grave.’
- ‘We knew who they were of course, and they were aware of our arrival but they passed on towards the Pontoon and Massbrook silent as the grave.’
- ‘And apart from a soft snapping and tink of hot metal, the room was as silent as the grave.’
- ‘All was quiet as death, silent as the grave, save for the faint murmur of my own breathing.’
- ‘We were as silent as the grave, but I knew, almost instinctively, that all eyes were upon us from the shadows.’
- ‘It is quiet as the grave and there is seating for only 20.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.