One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘It was all as pretty as a picture and just a little too good to be true.’
- ‘I walked over to him, pretty as a picture, meek as a mouse.’
- ‘He doesn't put Austen on a pedestal and he doesn't make a film that is pretty as a picture but lacking in any sense of vitality.’
- ‘‘She looks pretty as a picture, I think,’ my mother said genuinely and definitively.’
- ‘The resulting spring tabletop is as pretty as a picture.’
- ‘She was as pretty as a picture - not beautiful, not stark raving mad like me, just pretty.’
- ‘She looked pretty as a picture herself out here in the sunshine - a ravishing rose amongst a garden of gorgeous roses.’
- ‘I'll bet if we saw the technical crew, or even the people at the craft services table, they'd also be pretty as a picture.’
- ‘She was a little bit on the cuddly side, but pretty as a picture.’
- ‘The world really is as pretty as a picture for the professor, who has recreated the great photographic journeys of the Victorian Age.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.