One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Completely flat.‘the land's as flat as a pancake’
flat, smooth, uniform, featureless, unbroken, undamaged, unwrinkledView synonyms
- ‘Swindon has hills and the nearby Cotswolds and Marlborough Downs, while Cambridge is flat as a pancake.’
- ‘Here on the east coast of the USA, the coast is flat as a pancake.’
- ‘Stay away from gels, pomades and waxes that will leave your strands flat as a pancake.’
- ‘A full 45 minutes' worth would crush you flat as a pancake.’
- ‘The second set was as flat as a pancake for the first few games.’
- ‘Being as how the fens are flat as a pancake, and the cathedral is a very big building on top of a medium-sized hill, it's pretty visible.’
- ‘Without it, the show would be as flat as a pancake.’
- ‘Britain's urban house market may be flat as a pancake, but out in the smarter shires, it's a tale of two very different sorts of properties.’
- ‘Activity in the biggest eurozone economies remains as flat as a pancake.’
- ‘Secured with collar and leash, he lay outside, flat as a pancake, four legs outstretched against a new element for him - sand - and under a stranger, more fearsome element - sky.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.