Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having very bad hearing.
hard of hearing, hearing-impaired, with impaired hearing, unhearing, stone deaf, deafened, profoundly deafView synonyms
- ‘Will the next generation be deaf as posts by the time they're middle-aged?’
- ‘Sir Jack, by the way, is as deaf as a post these days and it is a real shame to see him being interviewed.’
- ‘It seems it's still easier to see me as a Machiavellian force preventing her from communicating with her friends than to accept that she's deaf as a post and increasingly anti-social.’
- ‘But their house was the last one in the terrace, next to a lane - well, you know that, it's yours now - and the old boy that lived over the lane was as deaf as a post.’
- ‘Top form if you ignore the fact that she's as deaf as a post, and her eyesight is selective. But she's happy, and all is well.’
- ‘I found her batting at the door of the spice cupboard, yowling fit to wake Mrs R next door, and she's deaf as a post.’
- ‘A nurse responsible for the care of America's greatest newspaperman, and she's as deaf as a post.’
- ‘Our goalie was as deaf as a post, and tended not to hear our shouts to remind him the ball was coming until it was far too late.’
- ‘Grandma Jo on the other hand is all up for it and she probably didn't hear him in the first place because she's as deaf as a post!’
- ‘The teacher, ‘Harry’ Harrison was about ninety years old and was as deaf as a post.’
- ‘She's a guest they have on Countdown who's as deaf as a post.’
- ‘Now I live with a woman who is not only deaf as a post but, as a result of her stroke, has short-term memory loss.’
- ‘This was always something of a drama as he'd become as deaf as a post and would stand in the hall shouting into the phone, ‘Hello?’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.