One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Untroubled by heat or exertion.‘he leaps up the six flights of stairs and arrives at the top as cool as a cucumber’
untroubled, undisturbed, unworried, unconcerned, unmoved, unflustered, unruffled, unshaken, undismayedView synonyms
- ‘No, Mamma, it's not hot at all, it's as cool as a cucumber.’’
- ‘How to be cool as a cucumber at the searing heat of 45 degree Celsius?’
- 1.1 Calm and relaxed.‘she looked as efficient as a hospital matron, as cool as a cucumber’
calm, cool, unconcerned, collected, cool, calm, and collected, cool as a cucumber, composed, airyView synonyms
- ‘The man from Moscow, calm and cool as a cucumber, knocked him out cold.’
- ‘Opening night, and while Amy was as cool as a cucumber, I was the one that was feeling nervous, and I wasn't even in the play at all.’
- ‘Trying to get him angry with an increasingly cruel set of stunts, our newly cool as a cucumber bandleader learns that staying calm has some sensational fringe benefits.’
- ‘I bet you anything Jason's at home cool as a cucumber, not stressing over what he's going to wear.’
- ‘Unperturbed, cool as a cucumber, he stuck with his task.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.