One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not at all easy to understand.‘what the statement really means is still as clear as mud’
obscure, unclear, dense, uncertain, indeterminate, mysterious, puzzling, perplexing, baffling, mystifying, confusing, enigmatic, inexplicable, unexplained, concealed, hidden, unfathomable, incomprehensible, impenetrable, vague, ambiguous, delphic, indefinite, indistinct, hazy, foggy, nebulous, equivocal, doubtful, dubious, oblique, elliptical, oracular, cryptic, deep, abstruse, recondite, arcane, esoteric, recherchéView synonyms
- ‘As I suspected, all is clear as mud at this point.’
- ‘On the flip side, some parts of the plot that aren't explained still seem to be vital to the story, so several chapters are clear as mud.’
- ‘The next steps are clear as mud.’
- ‘The strangely murky waters of the UK's broadband market were stirred up once again last week, making things clear as mud, as usual.’
- ‘It was just clear as mud to me, and I was hoping you could help me with it later on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.