Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Freedom of action or expression:‘he was given free rein to work out his designs’
freedom, scope, a free hand, leeway, latitude, elbow room, space, room, flexibility, liberty, independence, play, slack, free play, leisure, licence, room to manoeuvre, scope for initiative, freedom of action, freedom from restriction, indulgence, laxity, marginwriggle room, wiggle roomcarte blancheView synonyms
- ‘All it takes for evil to triumph over good in any country is for decent people to remain silent as wicked men are allowed free rein.’
- ‘‘These kids have a free rein to do what they want,’ he said.’
- ‘And telemarketers are given free rein to call your home.’
- ‘Together, we must fight for balance in globalization by bringing together producers and labour to expand the concept beyond free rein for corporations.’
- ‘Consultants will be give a free rein to put forward whatever options they believe are best and most financially acceptable to secure the building's future.’
- ‘For the life of me, I cannot understand what these people want, apart from a free rein to continue with their insulting programming on radio.’
- ‘The oil and gas companies who supported his candidacy were given free rein to write their own rules when it came to state policy on emissions control.’
- ‘Given free rein on the layout, I extended the text of his story to take up eight full pages, with each page also playing host to one of eight collages.’
- ‘Students from various educational institutions turned up to give free rein to their imagination.’
- ‘However, it is the free rein of the surface vessels to transit through those submarine areas, even though they are known to be training grounds.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.