One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express defiance or rejection of someone or something previously mentioned.‘glory be damned!’
- ‘Since we haven't, we go with what we've got and do the best we can as human beings, doctrine be damned.’
- ‘Pop punk past be damned, there's now no questioning the authenticity of Neko's C&W efforts.’
- ‘We all know, directly or otherwise, how possible is it to get a great nightlife in the city and restrictions be damned.’
- ‘It doesn't matter if they have to lie and distort to do it, the goal is power, and ethics be damned.’
- ‘They'll look for some way to use the power of the state to their advantage, the truth be damned.’
- ‘Horizon-broadening be damned; for all its glaring faults and myriad irritations, I like it here.’
- ‘However, there are times when I want to be able to enter a bar and have a highball and a ciggy, health concerns be damned.’
- ‘They then proceeded to rewrite the rules to suit their agenda, and the opposition be damned.’
- ‘The best we can do is estimate the perceived goal of the campaign, rhetoric from the opposition be damned.’
- ‘Strategy be damned because we do not have secret proceedings in this country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.